The Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest Klotild Palace received the BEST INTERNATIONAL HOTEL INTERIOR award from the London-based International Hotel Awards. No Hungarian Hotel has ever received such award. The award represents a major recognition; a highly experienced team of hospitality experts judged entries prepared by several hundreds of hotels from five
continents, and selected the winners in course of a multiple-round procedure.
Construction of the twin Klotild Palaces opened Budapest’s east-west axis in 1900. In a globalised 2010, its reconstruction as Buddha-Bar hotel Klotild Palace brings eastern ways to the Danube. Tibor Sáringer previews the plans.
There is an incantation in the bones of grand old buildings. They still echo with the intrigues of those great men and women that built them, lived in them and often died in them. Yet so many times in history, they prevail against tumult, outlive their masters and endure, standing proud and bemused out of the dust of conflict and the rubble of history.
Commissioned by a Habsburg archduchess and built by two of the most celebrated architects of the era, the twin Klotild palaces in Budapest mirrored the grandeur of the fin-de-sičcle Austro-Hungarian empire when they were completed in 1901.